Mayor Douglas Daugert
- North Coast Regional District
- Northern Health Authority
- Misty Isles Economic Development Society
- Community Futures (Alternate)
- Municipal Insurance Association of British Columbia (Alternate)
Councillor Brigid Cumming
- Park Management Committee
- Community Futures
- Municipal Insurance Association of British Columbia
- Emergency Management Commission (Alternate)
Councillor Kazamir Falconbridge
- Deputy Mayor (currently)
- Recreation Commission
- GwaiiTel Society
- Tourism Advisory Committee (Alternate)
- Vancouver Island Regional Library (Alternate)
Councillor Norman Ian Gould
- Tourism Advisory Committee
- Northern Development Initiative
- Vancouver Island Regional Library
- Recreation Commission (Alternate)
- North Coast Regional District (Alternate)
- Northern Health Authority (Alternate)
Councillor Kelly Whitney-Gould
Vancouver Island Regional Library (Alternate)
Council Roles and Responsibilities
Mayor and Council’s responsibilities are set out in the Community Charter. Generally, Council’s role is to consider the best interests of the Village, represent the will of the public, determine services and establish levels of service delivery, and provide leadership and governance by focusing on key issues, strategic planning, and setting policy.
The members of the Village of Port Clements Council consist of the Mayor and 4 Councillors.
Individually, Councillors’ have very few statutory powers or responsibilities. The substantive powers of Council are exercised collectively by the group acting together; an individual Councillor cannot act by themselves on Council business. Council may only exercise its authority by resolution or bylaw at a Council meeting. Each member of Council, including the Mayor, has one vote on any question. Each member of Council present must vote on the question, and if a member of the Council does not indicate how he or she votes, that member is deemed to have voted in the affirmative for the motion.
The Mayor is the head and Chief Executive Officer of the Village. In addition to the Council members’ responsibilities, the Mayor’s responsibilities include:
- Provide leadership to Council
- Communicate information to Council
- Preside at Council meetings
- Provide, on behalf of Council, general direction to the Village officers respecting implementation of Village policies, programs, and other Council directions.
- Reflect the will of Council and carry out other duties on behalf of Council
Council’s relationship with staff:
Councils’ only direct contact with Village staff is through the Chief Administrative Officer. The CAO provides direction to staff to carry out Council’s decisions on Councils’ behalf.